This is one of a few scenes of Lancaster painted by the artist Gideon Yates.
This particular view is from Skerton on the north bank of the river Lune. In the foreground three cattle are grazing. The Skerton Bridge, which was constructed in 1788 is shown in great detail. Immediately behind this bridge is the site of the shipbuilding family - Brockbanks. The Green Ayre is completely obscured by a ship on the stocks. In the back ground the skyline of the town can be glimpsed. The cupola crowned the Town Hall in Market Square, built in 1785.
Many of Lancaster's grand buildings date from around this period due to the increased growth of trade that the town was experiencing. This led to the investment in new buildings, founding of hospitals and a sense of confidence.