Richard Gillow (1734-1811) was one of two sons of Robert (Snr) and Agnes Gillow. Both sons were involved in the family business.
Richard Gillow married into the Haresnape family when he married Sarah Haresnape, Joseph Haresnape's daughter (George Haresnape's niece). They later bought the slave trading vessel Africa, complete with its captain, in 1756. Although the vessel was sold within 18 months, evidence suggests that it made at least one voyage in the intervening period.
In 1750, before joining the Gillow firm, Richard was sent to London to study architecture under William Jones. On his return in 1757 Richard became a partner with a half share in the Gillow company, and was based in Lancaster. He also gained the commission to design the Lancaster Custom House which still stands on Lancaster Quay and is currently the Maritime Museum