Described as a "Gillow masterpiece" the bookcase, which measures seven feet tall and four feet wide, was made for Mary Hutton Rawlinson, widow of wealthy Lancaster Quaker merchant, Thomas Hutton Rawlinson, in 1772.
The piece has remained in the ownership of Mary Rawlinson's descendants for more than two centuries. Portraits of Thomas and Mary Hutton Rawlinson also hang in the Judges' Lodgings.
Gillows employed their most skilful craftsmen, Thomas and John Dowbiggin, to make the piece, at a total cost of £17.17s. 0d.
This acquisition was made possible by generous assistance from The Art Fund and the V&A/MLA Purchase Grant Fund.