A silver presentation model of Morecambe Super Swimming Stadium made by the Goldsmiths and Silversmiths Company, 112 Regents Street, London, in 1936
To commemorate his contribution to the project, this silver model was presented personally to Councillor Francis Charles Fahy on the occasion of the pools opening on July 27, 1936. He was Chairman of the Old Harbour Committee of Morecambe and Heysham Town Council.
The pool was a fine example of the "International Modern" style, which exploited the new possibilities offered by reinforced concrete. Adjacent to the newly refurbished Midland Hotel, the pool was demolished in the 1970s.
The pool was 110 yards long and was claimed to be the biggest outdoor pool in Europe, taking 1,250,000 gallons of water to fill. The pool could take 1,200 bathers and as many as 3,000 spectators. The Stadium was also the birth place of the "Miss Great Britain" beauty contest which took place there from 1945 until 1989.
This acquisition has been made possible with the assistance of the MLA/V&A Purchase Grant Fund and The Art Fund.